Question
Posted by: Maya | 2011/06/29

Boerboel behaviour

Please advise, I have a 5 year old boerboel. We have moved houses and now have a bigger yard for him to play and run. He loves playing with my 2 year old and is generally a good dog. However, yesterday, our neighbours two labradors came barking at the front gate - obviously teasing my boerboel. A while later when I opened the front gate, my dog ran out and attacked both labs. I''ve never ever seen him so aggressive. It took allot of effort to let him go of both dogs. Now my question is: is this a sign that he is not adjusting to the new yard? or was this behaviour just him protecting himself?

p.s My boerboel is actually clumsy and hardly barks at people. His appearance is the only thing that scares strangers....so this behaviour really came as a shock.

THnaks

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Maya, it sounds to me like he is just reacting to the dogs - totally natural. What i would do is to teach him to stay in one particular location whenever gate is open as well as a really reliable recall in the event that he does charge for the gate when open. Thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: mac | 2011/08/05

hi There.
my boy is just over 3years ,can i go now and to the vet and have him neatord
will it change his ways .or make him easier and not so aggresive.
also easier towards the oppisitte sex.
please let me know thanks guys.. mac wilson.

Reply to mac
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/06/29

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert