Posted by: david | 2009-02-20

boer bul bite

Hi doc, My bull is now approx. 2 years old and has twice biten family members in our yard, people that live here and are seen every day and have known and played with him as long as I have had him, I think he must have been 2 months old and has grown with our family.My question, what do i do, have him neutered and hope he calms down or simply call it a day. I am not a irresponbile dog owner but afraid the next bite might be fatal.

Dear David

Good advice given by other bloggers.

Posted by: Once bitten | 2009-02-23

Big dog lover is correct  out here in the Southern Cape where we live every second farmer seems to be a Boerbull breeder. Many of them know nothing about breeding them. Some people think that the more agressive the parents are the better. I made a big mistake by getting one of these dogs from so called " gekeurde"  parents from a so called " Boerboel teeler"  farmer. There also seems to be no one single standard for the breed. In my case the father of the litter was huge + the mother looked completely different - also supposed to be " opreg geteel" . Well when our pup was a year old he became so aggressive everybody in the house was scared of him. We gave him all the love, attention, excercise + training but he ended up biting me. Thank goodness it was not one of the children that he bit. We got rid of him quickly to somebody looking for an aggressive dog to look after a building at night. We also have a GSD + a X Boxer. Neither of them are like that  so the moral of the story is to be very careful when buying a pup.

Reply to Once bitten
Posted by: cindy | 2009-02-22

Hello I would like to know were u got that info abt neutering?

Reply to cindy
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2009-02-21

Hi there David  I' d look at this very carefully if I were U. A dog that bites people that he knows cannot b trusted. One day he is really going 2 bite somebody very badly - even worse if it' s a child, then what r U going 2 do? We gave our Border Collie away 4 the same reason, the new owner knew this + it was not long b4 she bit their neighbour' s child. The other thing   when U buy a puppy always check out the character + temprement of both parents b4 U buy - it is a good indication of what U can expect of your pup. Big dogs especially working dogs need a lot of training, discipline + attention. One that' s just left on his own in the yard with no training, discipline or excercise is a potential disaster just waiting to happen. Various breeds of dogs seem to come into fashion at certain times. The Boerboel is very much in fashion at the moment but one should only buy from a reputable breeder. There seem to be many so called Boerboel breeders at the moment but how many of them are reputable + have sufficient knowledge of the breed? The Rotties also went through a stage like that some years ago (they were in fashion then) but it' s sorted out now + one can buy a really fine Rottie from a reputable breeder. However U must think of your situation + decide what to do with your Boerboel. Maybee he would make a good guard dog for somebody living alone. Regards.

Reply to Big Dog Lover
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-21

Any dog that bites a human needs immediate investigating - you cannot afford to risk this happening again.

From what you say, it' s not possible to assess what the cause of this behaviour is. If, for example, the people he bit were teasing him, or worse, frightening him, then that' s one thing, but if there was no reason for his attack, then you simply cannot afford to carry on.

It' s possible that you are unknowingly not providing the training, discipline and stimulus needed by a big young dog in the prime of life.

I would suggest you consult a qualified behaviourist, who will ask you all sorts of questions and assess the dog and its environment. If you decide not to keep the dog, then it must EITHER be euthanased, or you need to find him a new owner WHO KNOWS WHY YOU ARE REHOMING HIM, and is qualified and willing to take him on. PLEASE PLEASE do not take him to the SPCA with some feeble excuse like: we' re moving, or: my child is allergic. You' d be surprised how many people do this, simply because it makes them feel better not having to make the decision to euthanase him.

Reply to Chill