Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2012-12-11

Bodyworlds exhibit and 7 yo.

Dear Prof

Have you been to see the Bodyworlds exhibition? its fantastic! As PhD physiologist I enjoyed it immensely and would love to take my son who is 7. He shares my interest in the human body and is not squeamish and watches reality hospital and surgery programs. I still am a bit unsure whether the exhibition is appropriate for his age? Could it upset him despite his love of medical things?

Nobody can guess better than you, who know him so well, whether he might be upset by this. Its hardly "appropriate for his age" as a general declaration, but with his particular background and interests, it may be OK. Have you discused it with him ? Maybe find some pictures of the exhibits on the internet to discuss with him ? If he seems not bothered by the pictures, and knowing what it consists of, wants to go with you, maybe it'd be OK, with a Debriefing session with him afterwards ?

2
Posted by: Purple | 2012-12-12

I''m taking my 8 year old.

He recently watched a shark disection and he is viewing a vetinary operation soon (at his request and the vet agreed), so we''re really looking forward to it. I''m quite fascinated.

If my son does get upset we''ll discuss things. My husband has seen the exhibition and he is pretty squeamish but wasn''t too worried by it, though one of his colleagues got upset but said that culturally it was sort of taboo to view things like that.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Elle | 2012-12-11

You know your child better than anyone else. You would know whether he will be " upset'' or not...

Reply to Elle