Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-24

Body For Life 2

After your 12 weeks, there is a maintenance program you switch to.

What risks are there? I read that book cover to cover, it doesn' t push you in any way, shows how to work out correctly, how to listen to your body.

Hi Anon

Yes, I know there is a maintenance programme, but I don't believe it's necessarily a long term sustainable programme. Of course the book doesn't push you, fewer people would buy it if it did. The problem with the book is that hte level you enter the programme at is well, well above what a lot of people are capable of. I assume you're not one of them, which is lucky for you. But a lot of people would struggle on the initial phase of the training, because the intensity is quite high, and the volume starts at a level that many people would not be able to handle. So that means a lot of people fail on the programme because to sustain a 12 week programme that is 10% too hard is nearly impossible. And people are different.

As I say, you may find that you manage it, and that's great. But exercise is a little more complex that writing a book that guarantees results for everyone. For every person who thrives on the programme, there'll be one who battles and breaks down with an injury, or gets sick in the first 8 weeks. That said, there'll probably be another person who finds it too easy. That's the trouble with "one size fits all programmes".

So the risk is that the level is too great. And "listen to your body" is good and well, but you take a person who hasn't exercised for ten years (or more), and instructions only go so far. So the problem I have with it is not the programme but the principle of training through text only.