Question
Posted by: Ivan | 2010-09-30

Body Fat Reduction

Hi there,

Can you please assist?.

See my question to ''Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert''
________________________________________________

Subject: Body Fat Reduction
Posted by: Ivan | 21/9/2010

My Dad is 82 years of age. He started gyming last year around this time. He is 6''''0"  . At the time of starting he weighed in at 121.5 kg. At present his weight is 116kg, but his body fat remains high.

How canl he reduce the fat%, this is the question.

EXPERT''S REPLY
Subject:
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 25/9/2010
Hi Ivan,
First, sorry I have taken a few days to reply, but I have been very busy in my practice. First, how admirable that your dad is gyming at his age. My own dad turned 87 this year and he still goes to the gym regularkly each week. Quite something! Your dad was uncomfortably overweight at 121.5 kilograms, with a Body Mass Index of 36.5. This is an index that looks at weight for height, and places your dad well within the obese weight category. Therefore, it is very encouraging that he is trying to lose weight, and encouraging that he has lost five kilograms so far. You have not given me much detailed information, but I would suggest you pose a question to the DietDoc on the Health24.com forum and look at your father follow a sensible low fat diet to hopefully raise his muscle/fat ratio. A good, sensible diet as well as regular cardiovascular/resistance exercise is an excellent combination, and should help your father in the long-term. It''s also lovely to see a son showing such great concern for his dad. Best of luck. Regards, Graham

Dear Ivan
I agree that it is stunning that your dear Dad has started going to gym at his age of 82 years. It is also praiseworthy that he has lost those 5,5 kg. However his present BMI is still very high at 34.6, which is still within the obese range. To get back to at least the overweight range (BMI between 25 and 30) with a BMI of 30, your Dad would have to weigh 100 kg, thus a loss of another 16 kg. Before he loses more weight he won't be able to reduce his body fat percentage appreciably. Now, while exercise is excellent for overall health and does promote and support weightloss, on its own exercise cannot make one lose very large amounts of weight. To do this one needs to combine a low-fat, high-fibre diet with the exercise. See if your Dad can reduce his energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If you find that it is difficult for him to apply a slimming diet then it may be a good idea to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out an individual diet prescription for your Dad which takes his individual characteristics into account (present weight, target weight, age, level of physical activity, food preferences, etc) and also explain how he can achieve his goals.
I hope that your dear Dad will be able to continue doing his exercises and progress with his weightloss. Take things one step and one 1 kg at a time. Rome was not built in a day!
Best regards to you and your Dad

1
Posted by: Ivan | 2010-10-02

I take my hat off to you. What a task to comment on all of the above (My perspective) However I may speak for some, but you are doing an astounding job.

Thank you for the assistance, it is much appreciated.

Keep up the good work.

Regards Ivan

Reply to Ivan