Question
Posted by: Ivan | 2010-09-21

Body Fat Reduction

My Dad is 82 years of age. He started gyming last year around this time. He is 6''0" . At the time of starting he weighed in at 121.5 kg. At present his weight is 116kg, but his body fat remains high.

How canl he reduce the fat%, this is the question.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Ivan,
First, sorry I have taken a few days to reply, but I have been very busy in my practice. First, how admirable that your dad is gyming at his age. My own dad turned 87 this year and he still goes to the gym regularkly each week. Quite something! Your dad was uncomfortably overweight at 121.5 kilograms, with a Body Mass Index of 36.5. This is an index that looks at weight for height, and places your dad well within the obese weight category. Therefore, it is very encouraging that he is trying to lose weight, and encouraging that he has lost five kilograms so far. You have not given me much detailed information, but I would suggest you pose a question to the DietDoc on the Health24.com forum and look at your father follow a sensible low fat diet to hopefully raise his muscle/fat ratio. A good, sensible diet as well as regular cardiovascular/resistance exercise is an excellent combination, and should help your father in the long-term. It's also lovely to see a son showing such great concern for his dad. Best of luck. Regards, Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010-09-25

Hi Ivan,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert