Question
Posted by: C | 2010/08/02

BODY FAT PERCENTAGE

I decided this weekend to join the gym as I would like to do some yoga and pilates over weekends. I always thought I was in good shape, BMI in range it should be, exercise 5-6 days a week, diet not too bad, etc., etc. Then they do the fitness assessment at the gym and I get the shock of my life. My body fact percentage is 27%!!! What the .....? I''m 40 by the way and female. Is that very bad and how do I cut the fat percentage without doing 90 mins of cardio every day??

Hi C

27% sounds high, but it's not that bad, don't worry! Females are almost always over 20%, and for those above 40, this is not bad. It can of course be lower, and I'm sure you know that just intuitively, but it's not that bad, actually.

So you've joined the gym, you've obviously gone in with a goal in mind and this measurement should not change that. What you do is exactly the same - I'm assuming that they give you a programme of some sort? If not, then the fitness page of this site has a link for "Programmes" where you might find some options to choose from.

The bottom line, regardless of that body fat percentage, is that you need a mix of cardio and weight training and of course a good diet. Cardio will be the focus - not 90 minutes a day, but around 45 to 60, but that can come later, once you've built up to it. To begin with, you start slower, lower and then as you gain fitness, you work up there.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/08/06

Hi C

Reply to fitnessdoc