Body fat percentage

Hello. I would like to know how to work out body fat percentage. I have PCOS and my dr said that if i loose 10% of my body fat it could take the PCOS away. I am 1.54m tall and weigh 67 kg. I need to loose between 12 to 16 kg. How much would i need to loose to loose 10% of my body weight. Thank you.

Dear Reader
There is no mathematical method to work out % body fat. Some dietitians and gyms have special scales or equipment that calculate the body fat%. Generally speaking adult women who are not elite athletes have a body fat% of 24%. Telling you to lose 10% of your body fat % without determining what your existing body fat% is, is not really useful. I think what he meant was that if you lose 10% of your weight then this would improve your situation. At present your BMI = 28.7 which is in the overweight range. If you could lose 11 kg your BMI would be 24 which is nicely within the normal range. If you lose fat then your body fat% will also come down. Because you have PCOS, which is usually associated with insulin resistance, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).