Question
Posted by: A | 2010/02/12

Body fat %

I joined the gym in June last year and have made an effort to go at least four times a week (a mix of weight training an cardio) which is significantly more exercie than I was getting before. When I joined the gym, I weighed 52.6 kg and my body fat was 23.2% (I' m 1.6m tall). I' ve notcied that each month, my weight and my body fat seem to be increasing: today I weighed in at 53.6 with a body fat measurement of 25.5%. While the weight gain doesn' t bother me, the body fat does. My diet has not changed since I started getting more exercise (an average day is usually a bowl of All-Bran with fat-free milk, veggie soup or a sandwich on low-GI bread for lunch, two fruit, 100ml fat free yoghurt, and normal starch/protein/veg dinner), so how is it that I have so much body fat?

Dear A
Firstly you started off your exercise regimen with a BMI of 20,5 which is already below the ideal and now your BMI = 20,9 which is still below the ideal of 22. You are thus in no way overweight and are actually in the low-normal range. In similar fashion your body fat% when you started was below the normal range. According to Prof Tim Noakes in his book 'The Lore of Running', the normal body fat percentage of adult women who are not elite athletes is 24% and 14% for adult men. I do not think that your body fat % has increased by 2.3% and I would question to accuracy of the instruments used to determine your body fat%. If you are doing a great deal of exercise then you will be developing your muscle tissues which ironically weigh more than fat tissue! But you will certainly not be producing fat esp because the diet you describe is practically minimalistic and your weight is so low. Please don't worry about these read-outs, just enjoy your svelte body and increased fitness.

1

Dear A