Posted by: fruitfly | 2009-09-04

% body fat

Dear DietDoc, my favourite dietician!

I had the opportunity last night to use one of those scales which measure the percentage of one' s body fat and water. How accurate are those things? I took 2 readings, but both times I got the same - 20% fat and 50% water, is that ok? 20% fat sounds like a lot, I remember reading somewhere that women are only supposed to have 13-15 percent fat? (and at least 60% water)? I' m 25, and I' m not overweight at all, but I don' t do any excercise at the moment either. And I eat quite a lot of sweet things especially fruit, normal and some dried.

Dear Fruitfly
I feel so good that you say I am your favourite dietitian - thanks for that. According to most text books, about 50% of the body weight in adult women consists of water, so your reading in this regard seems to be correct. According to Prof Tim Noakes in his book 'The Lore of Running', the normal body fat percentage of adult women who are not elite athletes is 24%, so your reading is actually lower than normal - you seem to be in good shape despite not exercising! Fruits, both fresh and dried, are excellent foods that provide us with plenty of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and fibre, so don't feel guilty about eating them.
Have a good day