Posted by: Mary | 2009-08-20

Hi there,

I would just like to enquire about how this BMR thing can help a person lose weight. If my BMR is (eg.) 1400, do I need to eat more than that amount of calories or less? (And how musch more or less?) It probably depends on activity?

Thanks very much!

Dear Mary
The BMR represents the amount of energy you need on a daily basis to keep your body processes going (e.g. breathing, digestion, maintenance of body temperature, etc). Any additional energy will be used for your physical activities. In general, the BMR represents about 60% of the daily energy needs of an individual. So in your case you would require 2333 kcal per day. This is higher than the standard amount of energy prescribed for adult women who need to lose weight which is 1500 kcal. If you reduce your energy intake to 1500 kcal per day you should start losing weight.