Question
Posted by: sylvia nolwandle balfour | 2009-07-06

Bmi of 46

Age 50.Tried to loose weight but in vain.Can you advise me the best weightloss plan to follow. I had melanoma removed under my foot with groin dissection twice for removal of positive lymphnodes found after lymphoscintigraphy. I am trying to be active but is still difficult so far.Please help me

Sylvia

Dear Sylvia
I am so sorry to hear that you have had such invasive surgery, and hope that you are now fully recovered. If you have a BMI of 46 then I would actually recommend that you discuss this problem with a clinical dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You need assistance with your weightloss and some guidance so that you do start losing weight. Another option is to consider a gastric bypass seeing that you probably need to lose in excess of 30 kg. Contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose. As regards exercise, I think that the only option is to try swimming (if you don't have your own pool, ask a friend or join a gym that has a swimming pool), because you may find that other types of exercise cause problems after your surgery.
Holding thumbs that you can start losing now.

1
Posted by: CM | 2009-07-07

I' ve found that a correct and healthy eating habit is 70% won on the challenge. Try counting calories so you eat less then 1600 calories a day or eat less more frequently. I know it is very very difficult, believe me, I am in the same boat, BMI 40. And try to get someone to talk to about these stuff. Not someone who will give advice but someone that can encourage you. I just have to add a doctor will probably give you the best info, but who is really going to go see a doctor? And you can still do exercise. I' ve bought myself a DVD with different types of exercises on it and believe me, it is so easy to do but you still feel it the next day and maybe you can focus more on your arms and core muscles in the beginning.

Hope it helps.

CM

Reply to CM