Posted by: Carya | 2011-05-27

bmi is accurate

It doesn''t take into account body fat because I''m 177cm tall and I weigh 109.6kg and my body fat is 29.1% and BMI calculator says I''m extremely obese

Hi Carya

Yes, so the BMI works on mass and height. IT doesn't tell apart lean mass from fat mass and so that can sometimes be misleading. But only in elite athletes - rugby players, for example, will weigh 90kg or more, and have BMI values of 27, 28. But they have all that muscle.

Unless you're doing a great deal of training, that's unlikely. So the BMI is then more accurate in the general population. I'm not sure how the body fat is measured, I'd caution against believing it too much, because it can be tough to measure accurately.