Posted by: Wondering | 2011-04-29

BMI confusion

Where do BMI come from? I know how to calculate it, but I just don''t understand it, because according to my BMI I hoover close to being underweight to underweight. I am 1.53m tall and weight varies between 43kg and 45kg. I am thin but I surely am not underweight, no bones sticking out anywhere, can send you photos to prove it! (I live a very active life and I eat healthy and plenty.) I would just like to know how did they come up with the figures, because I heard it is unhealthy to have a BMI as low as mine. Just very confused about this BMI figures.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello "Wondering",
You are likely calculating correctly, because with a weight of 43 kilograms, your BMI is 18.37, which is slightly underweight. A normal BMI falls between 18.5 and 24. The calculation is to place your weight (in kilograms) over your height (in metres) squared. In other words, 43 divided by 1.53 X 1.53. Looking for bones sticking out is not the scientific of definitive way of dertermining whether you are underweight. You might also be slightly distorted in your perception of yourself, but it is difficult for me to speculate. Perhaps seek some professional dietary advice to see what a healthy daily intake would be for you. Although a normal BMI falls between 18.5 and 24, don't assume that having a BMI of 18.5 is necessary the correct weight for you. We each have a set-point weight, which is the weight at which our body wants to remain fairly stable. For instance, the average BMI of an 18 year old South African female is 22.7. Hope this helps.