Posted by: Anita | 2009-09-21

BMI 28

Good day,
I am 33yr old woman,my BMI is 28,I eat like baby very less quantity,still I cannot loose below 59kg,avg I stay on 65kg,my height is 4.11" .I am indian origin so usually our food is different from western food,also I am 100% vegetarian.
Please guide.

Dear Anita
Your BMI is indeed 28,9 which is above the normal range and to get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25 you would need to weigh 56 kg, thus a loss of 9 kg which is a lot of weight to lose. I unfortunately don't have a vegetarian slimming diet on this Website, but the basic principles for weight loss are that one should try to reduce fat intake as much possible and attempt to do some form of aerobic exercise like going for brisk walks as you start losing weight or get fitter. If you do use plant oils and nuts in your 100% vegetarian diet it may help to cut down drastically on your intake to reduce the energy content of your diet. If you find that you are still not losing then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assess what you are eating at present and how you can reduce your energy intake.