Posted by: Paul | 2009-01-21

I seriously doubt that your BMI calculator is correct. According to it I have to weigh 73kg! I am 1.73m tall male and weigh 80kg,Isn' t 73 just too thin??? Paul Putter .

Dear Paul
If your height is 1.73 m and as an adult man your ideal BMI is between 23 and 24 then you would need to weigh between 69 and 72 kg. The normal range of the BMI is between 18 and 25. If you are a rugby player or an athlete with a very high percentage of muscle tissue then the standard BMI calculation is not completely accurate. You will need to have your body fat percentage assessed at one of the sports research centres (e.g. UCT or another university). If you are not an athlete then 69-73 kg is desirable.

Posted by: Talita | 2009-01-21

BMI is an indication of a healthy body mass. There are no hard and fast rules. BMI does not consider bone structure, so if you seem lean enough at 80kg that is fine for you. Remember healthy BMI range is 20 - 25 and could differ up to 15kg. Some people have heavier bones than other people, some have more muscle even though they are same height or weight.

Reply to Talita