Posted by: Joy | 2008-12-01

Dear Doc
I have just found that BMI is 29.0, my height is 1.46 and weight is 62 kg, my question is should I be concerned as I look thin. Does the BMI contribute towards health problems? I am 39 years old woman and I always thought I needed to gain some more weight.

Dear Joy
You are correct that you BMI = 29,1 which is in the overweight category. Are you sure that you height is 1.46 m?? If you look thin then it is possible that you are taller and that this is giving you an incorrect BMI answer. If you are really 1.46 m tall and your BMI = 29,1 then it would be advisable to lose some weight. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25 you would need to weigh 53 kg, so do measure your height carefully and then work out your BMI again.