Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-09-30

*blush*blush*

Hi CS!

I have a major problem, blushing!!!
I hate it! I avoid people, places, conversations, everything because I know something will cause me to blush.
Now, I love making friends going out and doing things but I think my problem has just gotten to a point where I' m blushing for every single thing! I' m very light of complexion and I just go completely red like a tomato.
You will notice it, at that point all I want to do is shove my head in a paper bag or something.

What makes it even worse is people who comment on it, like they know I' m embarrassed but they want to make it even worse which I know I should just ignore but I can' t.
I have no control over it, when they comment on it I just go an even darker shade of red lol!

I make friends easily and am a friendly person but this problem is a monster.
I can blush for anything at all, a compliment, speaking to a new person (male or female) making a purchase at the shop, even speaking to people I know for ages, situations , people asking me simple questions.

Then when this happens I am so embarrassed it makes it worse and I don' t even want to face anyone so I cut the conversation just there or change it or walk off or answer with something that has totally nothing to do with it.
Gosh I' m 25 and I' ve always had this.
I' m just so fed up with it.

The past wknd I was shopping and purchased some bedding which was marked R300 so I notice the cashier is ringing up R600 the original price and I tell her but the price clearly states R300, she says no it' s R600 and I tell her but there' s plenty more where that came from and they all marked R300.She says with an attitude well this one is R600.
By this time the heat is boiling up and I can feel myself going completely red and the line getting longer.
Also at this time the manager come over and tells the cashier that it is R300.She turns and says to me, ok you can get it for R300!
I was so embarrassed because of this and so mad at this lady but completely blushed I did not want to say anything further and I had lots on my mind.I just paid and left.

Its really messing up my life can I ever overcome this?

Aha. And on the internet --- nobody knows if you're blushing !
And blushing is something of a vicious circle, isn't it ? Fearing that you MIGHT blush tends to make it more likely that you WILL blush, and so on.
I find blushers always seem to over-estimate both whether others even notice that they're blushing, and whether anyone else, even if they notice, actually cares ! And the rude people who comment on anyone else's blushing are themselves so conspicuously stupid, that they make far more of a fool of themselves than of anyone else.
Some call the fear of blushing Erythrophobia, which is pictureaque, but not terribly helpful.
Actually, a psychologist, using behaviour therapy / CNT can probably help you both to gain control over the blushing itself, and to lose the fear of blushing anyway. And there can be a relationship with social anxiety disorder, for which CBT is also an excelent treatment.
Sorry to hear of your nasty shopping experience --- the manager should have sacked the cashier on the spot, not for making a mistake about the price, but for being inexcusably rude about it And he should have at least scolded her then and there, and praised you for standing your ground when you were right. How awful to make you feel bad for not wanting to pay double the correct price.
Yes, you can gain control over this --- see a good psychologist, and get to work on this soon,

2
Posted by: ? | 2009-10-02

T, blush is to go all red in the face when embarrassed...

Reply to ?
Posted by: t | 2009-10-01

What is to blush?

Reply to t