Our expert says:
The dark circles under your eyes can be caused by Allergies, Eczema, Heredity, Lifestyle factors (such as smoking and drinking alcohol and caffeinated sodas), Nasal congestion (which dilates and darkens the veins that drain from your eyes to your nose), Thinning skin and loss of fat and collagen makes the reddish-blue blood vessels under your eyes more obvious.
Things that do work:
1. Cold compresses, two chilled teaspoons or a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a soft cloth or a used cold teabag
2. Elevate your head with two or more pillows to prevent puffiness that develops when fluid pools in your lower eyelids.
3. Although short nights don't usually cause under-eye circles, a lack of sleep makes you paler and more hollow-eyed, so shadows and circles you already have are more obvious.
4. Rinsing your sinuses with a saltwater solution (mix 1/4 teaspoon sea salt with 2 cups warm water) or over-the-counter saline spray can help relieve nasal congestion.
5. Cosmetics-cream containing vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin E and retinol is moderately effective in treating under-eye circles.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.