Posted by: Blowing up | 2009-02-19

Blowing up with water and gas

Dear Doc ,

I am 47 years old in good health. I have been on the pill Jasmin for years with no problem . I do not need to take any contraception so thought being 47 I should go off of it . Now I notice a big water retention starting just after I ovulate as well as before my period a great deal of flatulance . The combination is driving me mad as I look 9 months pregnant. I have also noticed that I have pain when I ovulate . A year ago I had breast reduction op as I was a DD with 5 cysts in one breast and 7 in the other all good but painful. This relief has been great . Does staying on the pill keep you ¨ younger¨ .I am an artist and work with my voice and want to delay menopause as much as possible...sorry for all the questions...I live in europe and just trust the SA doctors more .

Thanking you for your advice and time in advance !

The Pill does not keep you younger or delay menopause, but it does relieve symptoms such as PMS. This is what you are now experiencing. If you do continue with the Pill at your age, you should not smoke and should have no risk factors for heart disease.