Posted by: L | 2011-08-16

When I blow my nose in the mornings, there''s blood in the mucous. Not like a nosebleed, more like a small clot.

I do have a permanent post-nasal drip, and the doctors have told me that I have to drink allergex every day but there is no way that I am going to drink pills every day for the rest of my life. I don''t use anything unless it''s really, really necessary.

I watch quite a few of these medical dramas and in one episode of House they said that blood in the mucous is a sign of an infection. (yes, i get medical advice from series, haha!)

Should I let go of my beliefs and start taking allergex, or can I just carry on as is?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear L

Blood in the mucous may be an indication of infection, this requires treatment. You may also suffer from allergies, in which case an anti-histamine can be seen as part of the treatment plan, but you would need to be tested for allergies first. Unfortunately allergic rhinitis is a permanent problem, and to effectively control it you need chronic medication. This is almost like a patient with diabetes or hypertension, the only difference being that thses allergies are not life threatening. You require an ENT examination of the nose to come to a final decision, and blood tests may be helpful in identifying possible allergies.