Posted by: Tess | 2009-04-15

bloody stools

I' ve always battled with constipation and take aloe pills for my stomach. These last 2 days, when I have to go there has been blood. Should I be worried? I' m not on a medical aid and can' t afford to go to the doctor and have tests done.

Please advise

Dear Tess
If the blood is red and just a smear on the toilet paper when you wipe, it could be a bleeding hemorroid. If the blood is black or red and mixed with stools, or more than a teaspoonful at a time it could be serious and you need to see a doctor, even if you go to a provincial hospital.

Posted by: boo | 2009-04-15

Are you still constipated or do you have the runs?
And what colour is the blood, i.e. dark red or bright red? If you are contipated badly, you could have haemarroids (piles) which could bleed if you' re pushing hard to get a stool out. These would have a bright red blood. If the blood is from higher up in the intestines, it would be dark red or even black. regardless, if it carries on for more than a few days, and you have pain too, then please do go have it checked out at a doctor. There are some conditions which, if caught early, can be treated effectively, but if you leave them then they get worse and less treatable. Rather spend a bit now and have peace of mind, than leave it and possibly end up having to pay the earth for a condition which could have been sorted out if it was diagnosed earlier. Rather safe than sorry. Good luck!

Reply to boo