Question
Posted by: Depressed | 2011-07-19

Bloody nose

Hello, I am 7 months pregnant and have been suffering from flu. The flu has gone away but I have been having this dry cough and a bloody nose. Whenever I blow my nose, blood comes out and I am realy getting worried now. What causes this and how can I treat it? Should I be worried?

Winter tends to have that type of response with a lot of people – the air is extra dry resulting in drying your mucus membrane that with a lot of blowing can result in nose bleeds. Here are a couple of pointers that could help with nose dryness:

• Drink more fluid, water, and juices, around eight glasses each day, or eat fruits that have high water content. Hydrating the body tissues is important.
• If the dr the dryness is a side effect of antihistamine medications, request the doctor if there is a chance that the dosage can be cut back or completely stopped.
• Saline-based nasal spray can keep the nose’s skin moist.
• A humidifier can be used in the home or at work to spray some moisture in the air.
• Dabbing the inside of the nose with cream or petroleum jelly can prevent cracking of the skin and prevent further discomfort.
• Excessive alcohol, caffeine, and salt can cause the mucous membrane to dry out, reduction of its intake can be quite helpful.
Due to the fact that you are pregnant you need to however make sure that your gynecologist is aware of this and that your blood pressure 9is normal as bleeding noses could also be related to high blood pressure.

You are welcome to phone our helpline – 0860100262 where you could be assisted in finding a practitioner as close as possible to you that you could discuss your concerns with.
Furthermore you are welcome to visit the following website for any more sexual health information and assignments that could be helpful: www.sexualhealth.co.za

2
Posted by: Peter | 2011-07-19

I think this is a question for the Cyberdoc

Reply to Peter
Posted by: Sexologist | 2011-07-19

Reply to Sexologist