Question
Posted by: KC | 2010-06-06

Bloody Mucus

I have been experiencing uncomfort and pain in my throat for quite some time now and have a lot of mucus. Recently, on a copule of occasions there has been blood in the mucus. Should I be worried, and should i go an see a specialist?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear KC

You need to see an ENT surgeon to have a laryngoscopy performed as a staring point. Bleeding from the throat is never normal and a proper cause must be established. If the cause is not in the ENT field, you may require a gastroscopy, and in some cases even a brongchoscopy. The most likely source could be the throat, or an uncontrolled infection of the sinusses, causing a blood stained post nasal drip.