Question
Posted by: Saina | 2012/05/14

Bloodgroup diets

Hi doc
One of my sisters started the Bloodgroup diet a while back and is losing weight nicely.

She is a nurse and we had an argument because I feel that it is not good to cut certain foods out of your diet unless you are allergic to it.

We are both from the B-group, and it advises against tomatoes, avo''s, nuts and seeds, wholeweat and chicken and peanuts
Strangely, I do feel so bloated and I have heartburn if I eat it. Could there be any truth in to this diet. I have 5kg to lose. Is it worth giving it a try or would you advise against it.

Dear Saina
I am inclined to agree with you because I am personally not convinced that the "blood diets" are based on sound scientific principles. That every person in the world with blood group B should be allergic to tomatoes, avos, nuts and seeds just does not make sense. You may have digestive problems like IBS which may cause wind when you eat the nuts and seeds, but this does not mean that eating non-Blood Group B foods will make you gain weight! I would suggest that you reduce your fat intake moderately and do some aerobic exercise like brisk walking to lose those 5 kg. If you tend to suffer from bloating as your gp to check for IBS.

2
Posted by: Lucia Quachey | 2016/07/23

I'm blood group B, what should I eat and shouldn't eat?

Reply to Lucia Quachey

Dear Saina