Question
Posted by: Minki | 2010/11/15

Bloodgroup &  Pregnancy

We have been trying to fall pregnant for 5 years now, but nothing is happening. According to my gyneacologist there is nothing wrong. My husband went for a sperm count, it was below the normal count, but not below average, we were told that we should conceive.

The main thing that worries us, are our blood groups. I am A neg and my hubby B pos - we were told that it will be a very difficult pregnancy, if I make it to full term. I had a miscarriage last year Dec and am very scared now that if I do fall pregnant that I might lose the baby again or that it will be born with Down''s Syndrome. My GP told me that my body will reject the embrio, because of this incompatibilty?

Are our blood groups and Rhesus factors incompatible to have children?

Dear Minki

The rhesus incompatibility should not pose any problems provided you have not already developed antibodies. Therefore I would suggest that you do a full antibody screen for incompatibility and should this be normal then there should be no immediate difficulties with conception and I would certainly recommend investigating for other possible causes of the infertility problem as well as the miscarriage.

Answered by Dr Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/11/25

Dear Minki

Answered by Dr Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert