Question
Posted by: Ryan | 2010-07-21

Blood Type Diets

Good Day

I have read up on many articles relating to the BTD diet and am very interested in trying it out.

What is the procedure involved - do I need to see a BTD qualified dietician or do I buy the book and DIY it?

Please advise

Kind Regards

Dear Ryan
I do not agree with, or believe in the 'Blood diets'. I am not convinced that the blood group diets are based on sound scientific theory. That every person on earth with blood group O needs to cut out carbs, is not logical and also that by doing this you will lose weight. If you start eating only lamb, beef and other red meat you will increase your intake of energy, fat and saturated fat and cholesterol a lot, so rather leave this idea alone. The theory that people with some of the 'ancient' blood groups can't eat grains and legumes is nonsense because well preserved bodies of people who died more than 7000 years ago have been found in the ice of glaciers and when their stomach contents were analysed the researchers found that these people had been eating wheat and all the other components of a balanced modern diet.
If you do want to read more about these diets ask at your local bookstore if they have the book by D'Adamo.

2
Posted by: Lizz | 2010-07-23

I actually tried the metabolic typing diet which is similar to the blood type diet for me. I am supposedly a Protein type. I was on this diet for 2 weeks, the last few days of my diet I thought I was going to die. I slept all week end, had head aches dizzyness and I was totaly confused and depressed. I did not even cut all carbs out like on the Atkins diet.

I have even fasted (spiritual fasting not for diet purposes) for a bout 3 days and felt similar but not as bad.

I am now on Low GI and a new person. I have also lost more weight and I am not suffering at all.

Lizz

PS. I gained all the weight from the Metabolic diet back as soon as I started eating more carbs again.

Reply to Lizz
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-22

Dear Ryan