Posted by: Steph | 2009-08-11

Blood tests

Hi its me again with my DCM daxie. We' ve moved overseas and I am a bit confused to say the least. Last year when my dog was diagnosed with CHF due to DCM the vet did some blood tests, i think they were BUN levels he was checking.The tests deternined that he had normal liver and kidney functioning. My dog is on Fortikor 5mg, Furosemide 40 mg, Vetmedin 1.25mg. The vet in SA said we should check his bloods from time to time. Just before we left for the UK he had an Echo done, but the cardiologist ( referred to by the vet who did the bloods) never did any bloods. I want to register with a local vet in my neighbourhood and am wondering if I should get his bloods checked again, and what are the normal tests to do? I have friends who' ve had dogs with the same problem but they all seem to have been handled so differently. some tested and others not, incidentally the ones who did no bloods ended up with renal failure as well, and were told after the fact that perhaps the bloods should have been done ! Help, this is confusing! Thanks cybervet for helping,much appreciated.

Dear Step

As you have seen the cardiologist he is the best person to phone and ask all these questions.