Question
Posted by: Logan | 2009-01-13

Blood test to see whether I' m menopausal

I am a bit concerned about my last period which arrived 3 weeks late on Sunday night (11 Jan). The next day (12 Jan) I kept getting what felt like hot flushes at the back of my neck at frequent intervals. Today I am again fine however.

Is there a blood test I can have to determine whether I am in the peri-menopause? (I am 44). - If so, what does this test cost and on what day of my cycle should it be done?

The only medication I take is interferon beta. I know that this can cause hot flushes (even in men) but I' ve been using it for 14 months already and it has never caused me to develop hot flushes before.

Dear Logan

There are blood tests available to see if you are perI-menopausal or menopausal. The ideal time to do a blood test such as this would be on the second day of your menstrual period. The tests that should be carried out are FSH, LH and estradiol. I am unsure of the cost these tests but any laboratory would be able to give you the costs.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo