Question
Posted by: AQUA | 2008/10/22

Blood test picked up STD - Pregnant

Dear Doc,

Im 14 weeks pregnant and I went for the routine prenatal blood tests last week. My doctor briefly informed me yesterday (in Afrikaans) that I tested positive for an STD, but did not mention what STD. She said we would do another blood test in 3 weeks, then administer antibiotics which should clear it and that it could be an STD I picked up a long time ago or that I picked up recently which I doubt cause I never had symptoms.

My question is which STD could it be that she is referring to that could be so long in my system? How long does STD stay in your body? I remember having red spots on the inside of my vulva and entrance to my vagina about 13 years ago, which I used antibiotics for. The doctor said it was warts. Could it be that STD which was picked up?

Please help, Im going crazy of worry!

THANKS...

I can't imagine why your doctor didn't tell you which one, and I would encourage you to find this information out to get clarity. Nevertheless, some infections may be 'silent' in that you don't notice them (e.g. chlamydia). If the doctor has prescribed antibiotics, then it doesn't sound like it is that serious, but nevertheless is important to treat.

Find out which one and then either post again or ask the doctor about the absence of symptoms for that particular infection.

2
Posted by: AQUA | 2008/10/22

Dear ?

You know if I could phone my doctor and ask her myself I would.

She is not available telephonically and I am not going to pay R210 just to see her to ask her when the doc over here can also give me answers. I only see my doctor in the next 3 weeks and I dont think I can wait that long.

Im really in state here, so if you dont have helpful information for me then please dont answer my question.

Thanks!

Reply to AQUA
Posted by: ? | 2008/10/22

why not just ask the doctor herself?

Reply to ?