Question
Posted by: Adrian | 2010/10/05

Blood test

Hi doc

I recently had to have some blood tests taken and I am a bit uncomfortable regarding the episode now.

I asked the nurse whether she would mind rather using my right arm as the left arm usually hurts and goes yellow and bruised. This seemed to be a problem to her, as if I was now telling her what to do! At the end of the day, I had the right to make such a request.

So I went and sit down but did not pay too much attention to what she was doing. I just looked straight ahead and the table on which all the needles etc. was, was on my left. She picked up a needle from out a little box I think (I didn''t really look because I didn''t want to see what it looked like). She picked it up and said it is a clean needle, and then she had a look at it in the air, after which she twisted off some cap.

She really did not seem to like me because of my actually legitimiate request, and I fear she might have used a dirty needle on me, to get me back of course. I am a little scared that her attitude might have been racially motivated too.

Doc I know someting like that happening is probably not too likely, but I was just wondering. She really bruised my arm badly and after the needle was in, she just pushed it in further, and it hurt a lot.

Should I worry at all?

Thank you.

As an individual, if one has had several blood samples taken, you may know your own veins better than a nurse meeting you for the first time, and she is foolish if she doesn't politely listen to your suggestions and take them into account. It sounds like she may have been a cocky and insufficiently skilled nurse.
It should be absolutely rigid policy in ALL hospitals, that as soon as a needle has been used, it should be discarded safely in a special box for "sharps", and bent so it can't be used again. New needles would be in a different box, and would have some variety of cap on it which would need to be snapped or twisted off ; whereas an old needle would have no such cap, as its cap would have been thrown away even before it had been used. To get a used cap to put on a used needle to try to maliciously fool a patient, the nurse would have had to dig around in the larger box full of dangerous sharp objects, at real risk to herself - so however mean and nasty she may have been, this is unlikely to have been done.
SO you probably don't have a real risk to worry about - but why not discuss your concern with the doctor who ordered the tests and who you will need to see to discuss the results - mentioning your suspicion and concern, and saying that at least you were concerned about her atttitude to your suggestions and the way she handled you. He should take note of that and deal with it appropriately.

3
Posted by: Liza | 2010/10/06

If she twisted off a cap, the chances are that it was a sterile needle. Nurses are taught to NEVER put a cap back onto a dirty needle, because the chances of pricking yourself when putting a cap back on is just too big. Pressing the needle in deeper also doesn''t seem like that big a problem - it''s when the nurse starts digging around for a vein with that needle, continuously pulling it out a fraction and then pushing it deeper again - in a different direction each time.... Nurses who specialize in drawing blood (I call them vampires  ) are usually also not known for their people skills.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: MEL | 2010/10/06

I would lay a complaint of disorderly conduct against her contact the place where you had the test done and take a photo of what the bruise looks like, speak to the manager or person in control and raise your concerns have a blood, HIV test done again after 3 months

Only advise I can give you

Reply to MEL