Question
Posted by: Sasha | 2009-01-14

Blood test

I just want to know how accurate a blood test is. I was told i am pregnant by taking a blood test. Im going to see my gynae soon but i dont want to get there and be told Im not pregnant it' s a cyst or something like that. Please tell me if i need to be concerned. Is a blood test 100 % accurate?

Worried

Dear Sasha

In general blood tests are 100% accurate but there maybe some non-pregnancy related condition such as dermoid cysts, which may also give you a positive pregnancy blood test, and conditions such as trophoblastic tumours, which also produce pregnancy hormones and therefore can give you a false positive result. However since these conditions are extremely rare in general pregnancy blood tests are extremely accurate.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-14

If a blood test confirms that you are pregnant, you ARE definately pregnant. Unless you miscarry or so, you will definately be pregnant when you get to the gynae.