Question
Posted by: Antoinette | 2011/09/05

Blood Sugar Level for child of 5

Hi DietDoc,

I would please like to know what a child of 5 blood sugar level should be, I tested my son''s sugar level on Friday and it was 9. He had a party at his school on that day. The next morning afther he had something to eat I tested it again and it was 8.4, for that whole day I didn''t gave him any sweet things to eat and later that afternoon I tested him again and it was 6.4.

Thanks.

Dear Antoinette
You don't mention if your son is diabetic or not or why you are testing his blood sugar levels? In general the normal blood sugar level for children under the age of 6 years before meals is 5.5 - 10, and at bedtime or overnight, it is 6.1 - 11.1. The 3 readings of 9, 8.4 and 6.4, all still seem to be within the normal range for small children. If you son does suffer from diabetes and I would presume he would have type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) at his age, then it is always a good idea to have an individual diet prescription worked out for him by a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).

1

Dear Antoinette