Posted by: Elna | 2012-05-04

Blood Sugar

Hi there,

thanks very much for this interesting and useful forum.

I am 28 and pretty healthy. I had some screenings done at work about 3 months ago for cholesterol, BP, sugar etc and all was normal. I''m 1.64m tall and 58kg.

the other day I had a tummy bug and was vomitting with runny tummy through the night. The following morning I went to the doctor and he said I was dehydrated from the bug and put me on a drip. Anyway, when I first arrived at the doctor the sister tested my sugar with a finger prick and it was 7.2 - she attributed this to the vommitting and runny tummy. Is this normal - for a tummy bug to cause your sugar to spike (particularly as I hadn''t eaten or kept anything down for a good 12 hours)?

Many htanks,

Yes, it is possible but I do suggest that you consult your doctor for a glucose tolerance and serum insullin level test. After these two simple tests, your doctor will be able to confirm if you have insulin resistance or diabetes.