Question
Posted by: Loyiso | 2011/04/28

Blood results

I have asked my GP to do the following blood tests on me: kidney and liver functioning and uric acid. The following results were obtained: UREA &  ELECTROTYTES (sodium - 137  potassium - 4.3  chloride - 102  bicarbonate - 27  anion gap - 12  urea - 4.6  creatinine - 97  eGRF (MDRD) - 73 > 60)

URATE (0.30)

LIVER FUNCTIONS (total protein - 76  albumin - 45  globulin - 31  bilirubin total - 8  bilirubin - 2  bilirubin unconj - 6  alkaline phosphatase #L - 32  Gamma GT *H - 112 <  60  ALT H 64 < 50  AST H 50 <  38

Can you interpret the above results. My GP says they are normal except the liver reading which is high. what does this mean and what are the implications. what do i need to do to reverse the readings. i do drink alcohol.

Thanks for your response

Hallo Loyiso
Alcohol is toxic to liver cells and can cause liver damage (cirrhosis) You can see this on your liver functions that show abnormal readings. You need to reduce your alcohol intake, and it may help to take a supplement like Prohep or Essentiale.

2
Posted by: madie | 2011/04/28

your gamma reading should be 50 or less,a bit high,just slow down on drinks for a while,liver should recover

Reply to madie
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/28

Hallo Loyiso