Posted by: Fransien van der Walt | 2009-08-02

blood pressure too high?

71year female taking Amloc for bp. My bloodpressure is 157/80 and the health carer say its normal. My cholestr. is 4.7. Bp is familial as I am not over weight and exersise (walk) daily for 1 hour.Should bp not be nearer to 120/80?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Fransien

It is not unusual for one's BP to increase as one gets a little older, however maintaining BP at 130 / 80 and below is ideal.

There are other variables that should also be considered. Is your BP is consistently 157/80 or does it vary? Do you experience any symptoms related to BP (headaches, dizziness etc.) Does it improve with rest and increase with activity? Are uou ever short of breath? It would be important to have these questions answered.

With respect to your Health Carer, I wouldn't rely on her assessment of your BP (unless you have a medical doctor caring for you!). I would suggest you consult with your GP for a professional assessment of your BP.

There are some additional things that you can do to manage your BP. Improving your aerobic fitness will always assist with BP management so consider changing your exercise routine to improve your fitness level. Although you mention that you are not over weight, body composition (your fat weight vs muscle weight) is crucial to you health and wellness. Perhaps consider introducing a very simple resistance exercise programme (lifting light weights).

Hope this helps.