Question
Posted by: Joanne | 2012-06-02

Blood pressure readings

I am a 56 year old post menopausal woman. 87 Kg. 1m56 tall. On several occasions have wanted to donate blood but my reading is always 120/90 to 92. I believe the 120 is ok but why do I never get a reading under 90? Is this something I should be worried about Other than my serious weight :-(

Blood sugar, cholesterol tests are always fine.

Feel healthy and fine otherwise..... but the blood banks never want my blood due to that ''90'' number but they won''t explain further......

Many thanks. (Don''t have a medical aid and cannot afford to spend a whole day at the JHB Gen which is why I put off going there.....)

Joanne

Unfortunately, you are overweight and you will have to make an effort to loose weight. It is possible that you are suffering from metabolic syndrome, especially characterised by a large abdominal circumference. You will have to consult a doctor for blood tests and a prescription for Glucophage. Insullin resistance, which can be determined by a fasting serum insullin level blood test, is most probably the reason why you are unable to loose weight effectively.