Question
Posted by: MDee | 2011-03-09

Blood Pressure Readings

I regularly check my BP at Virgin Active before I exercise as I am hypertensive and am on medication, (11 years) so I am on top of the situation. The readings are pretty constant 130/75.

My concern is, the other day I decided to take the pressure after I had done my cardio session - 1 hour, and found it to be lower than before I started my session - 107/70. I thought it may be the machine so tested it again a couple more times and found the same low readings. Should I be concerned?

MDee

Hi MDee

It's pretty normal that BP drops after exercise, especially cardio, so no, don't be concerned. In fact, this is a good thing and this is also one of the reasons why exercise is recommended for hypertension. The reason it happens is that during exercise, your body releases a lot of chemicals that cause the blood vessels to dilate (open up) and this causes the pressure to drop. It is especially effective for the diastolic BP (the lower value). Sometimes, you'll see that your systolic BP goes UP because your heart is beating more forcefully, but the diastolic goes down. Again, this is a good thing!

2
Posted by: MDee | 2011-03-14

Thank you for your advice Doc. At 72 years of age I do try hard to look after my body, but am also wary of any abnornalitites, so always good to have you there...!

Reply to MDee
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-03-13

Hi MDee

Reply to fitnessdoc