Posted by: steve | 2012-03-20

blood pressure

About 10 years ago my doctor used to tell me that I have avery healthy low blood pressure. I never paid much attentionto that. Over time I put on a lot of weight and at one check up about 4 years ago he told me my BP was 160/130. I went onto a number of BP tablets to get it under control.

Eventually I started excercizing and watching what I ate and over 6 months I lost 30 kgs. My BP also dropped significantly, and the doctor has reduced by medication to 5 mg Ziak and 5 mg Amloc. I have maintained this reduced weight for the last 4 years.

Over the last year I have noticed that if I go for a hard 15 km run, my BP for the next about 12 hours is around 110/70 - and even lower (sometimes down to 105/65 about an hour after the run)

I run about 2 long 15 km runs per week and about 3 or 4 8 km runs per week at about 5 min 30 sec per km

If I do not run my BP can go to about 145/ 90 during the day.

Questions :
a) Why is there this huge variation ?
b) Has permanent damage been done while I was overweight ?
c) Should my doctor increase my BP medication ?
d) Would different BP tablets make any difference ?

I am 55 year old male

a) The difference in blood pressure will be due to the fact that exercise can control hypertension.
b) Yes, it is possible that permanent damage was caused but it will be very difficult to determine.
c) Your doctor should do a 24 hour blood pressure monitor test, to determine if your hypertension is well controlled.
d) The blood pressure medication that you are currently using are good products and I doubt if another product will make a difference. As an athlete, you were prescribed the correct class of blood pressure medication.