Question
Posted by: judy | 2011-04-18

blood pressure

I did ask you earlier today if I could miss a dose of beta blocker.
I am 60 and I take bisohexal 5mg. If it is dangerous with side effects why on earth would my GP prescribe it.
What alternative is there for HBP which is due in my case to stress and not necessarily medical required.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Judy

I did not say that BisoHexal is dangerous, only that beta blockers these days are not generally regarded as the drugs of first choice for pure high blood pressure.

But I asked whether there was any other reason - in addition to high blood pressure - why a beta blocker was prescribed for you.

Clearly there is - stress! With this information, I would agree with your GP that a beta blocker like BisoHexal is a good choice for you. Like all drugs for high blood pressure it should be taken regularly to derive maximum benefit, but the risk if you miss a dose occasionally is low.

There are many alternative drugs for high blood pressure but I would only change if you have side effects from the BisoHexal or your blood pressure is not adequately controlled.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-04-19

Hi Judy

Reply to Cardiologist