Question
Posted by: judy | 2011/04/18

blood pressure

I take a beta blocker 5mg every day. If I forget on a day is it dangerous and can I get away with it.
I have been on it for 2 months

Expert ImageCardiologist

How old are you Judy, and is there a particular reason - apart from blood pressure -to be taking a beta blocker?

The answer to your question also depends on which beta blocker you are taking. Some with short "half-lives" need to be taken twice a day, others only once. Beta blockers also suffer from the problem of "rebound": if you stop them abruptly your heart rate and blood pressure often rebound to higher levels than before you started the drug - one of the reasons perhaps why beta blockers these days are no longer regarded as first choice drugs for high blood pressure.

As a general rule you will come to no harm if you miss a dose, but obviously it is better to take the drug meticulously if you need it. If you find that difficult, and are taking the beat blocker only for high blood pressure, I would suggest ask your doctor to prescribe an alternative drug.

Please answer me in a new post, or else I won't be able to see your reply.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/18

Reply to Cardiologist