Question
Posted by: judy | 2011/04/05

Blood pressure

I am 60 years old. I have just started taking a betablocker owing to the fact that my BP has been around 140/98 for over a year and rarely differs. I have been on an HRT patch for 4 and a half years.
I have weighed around 55 kgs for 30 years and take good care of my health.
Am I at risk of having a heart attack.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Judy. Most women age 60 are at some risk of heart attack, but of course the risk varies widely and depends on a number of risk factors - so-called "global risk" - and not just on blood pressure. Risk factors include family history, smoking, cholesterol, blood pressure, presence of diabetes, sedentary lifestyle, psychosocial stress, lack of regular exercise, and a diet deficient in fruit and vegetables.

So without some more information its difficult to give you a good idea of your risk, but it doesn'd sound as if you are "high risk". To get a better idea, I suggest contact your GP and ask him to help you calculate risk.

A healthy lifestyle can go a long way towards reducing risk and yours sounds healthy. Sometimes medication is necessary to try to reduce risk, eg by reducing blood pressure. Beta blockers are less popular as first line medication for high blood pressure these days but are very suitable for some patients. At one time we believed that HRT reduced risk of heart attack but know now that is not the case.

Hope that helps!

2
Posted by: JUDY | 2011/04/18

I would like to know if you take a beta blocker every day and forget to take it, is it dangerous. It is only 5mg per day.
thank you

Reply to JUDY
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/06

Hope that helps!

Reply to Cardiologist