Question
Posted by: Pierre | 2011-01-26

Blood pressure

Hi Doc,
I am getting some dizzy spells every now and again but my GP says it might be low BP and I should not be worried.
Each time he checks I am close to the 120/80 mark.
Recently I am also getting some tight chest feelings.
Had a full medical done at 40 two years ago and all seemed fine.
Suffered from panic attacks some 18 months ago but better now.
So I invested in a portable BP meter and did some checks.
Was close to 120/80 most of the time.
Earlier tonight I got those tight chest feelings so I checked it a few times and each time it was around 145/93 with pulse at around 72.
I want to keep on checking to be able to give the GP some stats but my wife is saying I should see GP asap.
What do you think. Should I go now or do more meassuring to give better history?
Pierre

Hallo Pierre
From time to time one's blood pressure can be above normal (like when you are upset or have pain or feel stressed) a better way to look at it is to take your BP daily more or less the same time and then work out the average above and below. If the average is above normal you may need to consider taking medication. What I think you should do is to try and identify the cause of the tight feelings of your chest - does it have a relationship with food or drink, how do you feel when it happens, what are you doing when this happens (exercise related?). If your wife puts her ear on your chest does she hear "wheezing" sounds? For how long does such an attack persist?

3
Posted by: Pierre | 2011-01-27

Thanks a lot Tania. I will do the same.
All the best to you as well.

Reply to Pierre
Posted by: Tania | 2011-01-27

HI Pierre,

What I did was started keeping readings on a chart date, time, reading and pulse rate measurement I kind of checked mine a few time during the day where I felt ok and also when I felt really shabbby.

These readings were very helpful to my GP and was able to put me onto medication etc.

I really do hope you come right and land up not having any form of low or high bp and that it may just be of a stress related nature.

Good Luck

Reply to Tania
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-01-27

Hallo Pierre