Posted by: Sue | 2010-11-26

Blood Pressure

Hi Doc,

I became a blood donor this year - I have a phobia about needles, but decided I wanted to do this anyway. The first time I went, my BP was 160/90, the second time it was also high, so in a panic about this, I went to my doc who did 3 BP tests within 20 minutes, and each time it was110/70. The last time I went, I was very anxious (as usual) and it was 190/80!
Is it really possibl that anxiety canpush your BP so high? I''m petrified of needles, but this seems excessive?
Many thanks

It is possible for anxiety to raise your blood pressure but if you are concerned, I suggest that you have a 24 hour blood pressure monitor done to determine what your blood pressure is doing over a 24 hour period.