Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/21

Blood Pressure

Hi doc

What does it mean if my blood pressure is 127/90. I was just at the doc to get a prescription? Why are we not told of these things? Thanks

Dear Anonymous
I agree with you - doctors don't communicate enough with patients!
Normal blood pressure is 120/80. Anything higher than 140 at the top and 90 at the bottom needs treatment. But Blood pressure can go up temporarily due to stress, not feeling well, being angry or worried or even the traffic! I always ask patients to take their blood pressure daily for a week, and if the average is above 140/90, it needs medication