Posted by: Di | 2009-03-25

blood pressure

I have high blood pressure. I am on a diet and the dietician sent me to my doctor 2 weeks ago. he said it is fairly high, but nothing to worry about at the moment. I am 48 years old, am about 10kg overweight. I recently had 3/4 of my thyroid removed, and the dr
has now put me on eltroxin 50mg. Two questions, can the eltroxin raise my blood pressure? are there any natural products I can take to try and lower it a bit? Had it taken at the pharmacy today and it was 140 over 110. Please advise.

Expert ImagePharmacist

The active ingredient of eltroxin is the same as the hormone thyroxine, which is produced naturally by the thyroid gland. These hormones are responsible for maintaining a normal rate of metabolism in the body.
Eltroxin tablets are given to replace the thyroxine that would normally be produced naturally by the thyroid gland, and should not affect your BP adversely. In fact, some studies have shown that you BP may in fact be lowered when your thyroxine levels are normalised.