Posted by: adam | 2010-01-24

I recently met e person who, whenever he feels that he is coming down with an illness, has his blood let. Apparently it is quite a lot, because he said that it' s just like giving blood at a blood bank and that' s harmless.(no, I checked, he is not a blood donor so there' s no unethical behaviour to be reported) It got me thinking: if you force your body to make new blood quickly when there' s infection in your blood, does that help your body by diluting the infection, or does it hinder your body by taking away blood that is starting to fight the infection?

There is no evidence to support this claim that venoussection will improve your immunity.

Posted by: jenni | 2010-01-26

Further to Cyberdoc' s reply, blood letting could decrease iron in the blood, particularly in women, and iron is needed for the immune system to function properly!
One would hope your friend is disposing of the blood properly as blood poses risks to other people who may come into contact with it such as hepatitis.

Reply to jenni