Question
Posted by: Worried 18 year old | 2009-07-14

Blood in vomit

Had sex for the first time, 2 and a half weeks ago, now I' m vomiting blood. Could I be pregnant? Or is it something else that causes the vomit?

Dear Worried 18 year old

Blood in vomitus is not a known symptom of pregnancy. It could be an indication of either oesophageal problems or gastric problems. However under very rear circumstances excessive vomiting in pregnancy can be accompanied by some blood in vomitus but this is more of an exception than a rule. It is also unlikely that one would have such amount of vomiting so soon after the coital event.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim