Posted by: IceMaiden | 2009-09-04

Blood in stool

I had a heamorrhoidectomy 10 July 2009. Five weeks later (14/8), I was still constipated and I had blood in my poo. I drank a lot of water, ate prunes every night, high fibre cereal, fruit etc. On 15 August I started drinking Glucophage and since then I had diarrhea every day. But I noticed blood in my poo again. Is it still something to do with the heamorrhoidectomy? Please give me some advice...

Ice Maiden

The diarrhea is most probably caused by the Glucophage, as this is one of the side effects. The blood in your stools can however not be caused by the heamorrhoidectomy anymore and I strongly suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy.

Dr Arnich Burger