Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/14

Blood in stool

Dear Doc,
I have noticed some bright red blood in my stool. I do not think that i have piles, and i' m prone to constipation my whole life. I' ve only seen the blood the one time. Should i see a doc or wait and see what happenes. How would i know if i have piles? I am a bit imbarresed to go to a doc with this....

Dear Anonymous
One can usually feel piles, like soft lumpy things around the anus opening, it can be tender too. A smear of blood when you wipe is usually a common sign. Blood that is mixed with stool usually comes from higher up in the gut and needs further examination. Don't be embarrassed, Doctors do not mind checking it out.